Chapter 11 – Authentic Leadership focuses on whether a leader is genuine or “real” in the way they lead. Authentic leaders demonstrate five basic characteristics:
- they understand their purpose
- they have strong values about the right thing to do
- they establish trusting relationships with others
- they demonstrate self-discipline
- they are passionate about their mission
An authentic leader is self-aware, self-regulating, open and honest. The four key positive attributes that influence authentic leadership are confidence, hope, optimism and resilience and the identified factors that are influential in a person’s ability to become an authentic leader are positive psychological capacities, moral reasoning capacities and critical life events.